Solano Youth Coalition
The Solano Youth Coalition strives to raise awareness by advocating safe and healthier choices in communities through open conversations, participation, and collaboration among a new generation.
The Solano Youth Coalition (SYC) builds partnerships for positive and healthy youth development which engage youth as active leaders and resources in their communities. The SYC is a youth led coalition that provides opportunities for youth to build capacity and commitment for life-long involvement in health promotion. The SYC is comprised of youth from Solano County’s high schools and colleges and is supported by an advisory team of adults.
The Solano Youth Coalition strives to:
- Promote and encourage the participation of young people in the development of policy, programs and services in their communities
- Raise awareness of issues regarding the health, safety, and success of their community
- Engage youth and adults in active, open conversations about health and safety issues about drugs, alcohol, and violence
- Advocate for their peers and community for safer and healthier choices and policies in their community
- Collaborate with organizations, businesses, schools, community members, and young people to establish a positive strategic vision for the Solano Youth Coalition
- Develop and promote a new generation of leaders and advocates for healthier and safer communities in Solano County
SYC is an excellent opportunity for students in need of community service hours to graduate as well as completing scholarship or honor society requirements. SYC participates in various activities and projects that benefit the health, safety, and success of youth and adults in our communities. Below are just some of the opportunities offered to SYC members that can count towards community service or volunteer hours!
- Responsible Merchant Awards (RēMA) – evaluate and educate merchants about limiting access for youth to tobacco and alcohol products
- Social Norms Art Project – organize a county wide art exhibit that explores alcohol, tobacco, and drug use among youth
- Elementary Spelling Bee Championship – assist in organizing, running, and/or judging the Solano County Elementary School competition
- College and Career Exploration - work with middle school students to explore their college and career options and develop a roadmap for success
- Peer Education – create and lead presentations, lessons, and/or activities that promote health, safety, and success for students
- Public Speaking – communicate important issues, activities, and information to news media, community organizations, and/or government entities
The Solano Youth Coalition is a partnership with the Solano Friday Night Live Program. Visit the Solano Friday Night Live page for more information on Friday Night Live in Solano County.